Press Release: Flash Floods in Pakistan have Left Millions DisplacedZubair Akram
02 September 2022
Flash Floods in Pakistan have Left Millions Displaced
The situation is Pakistan is dire, with more than 1,000 people dead, almost 2,000 people injured and millions of people displaced, as a third of the country is underwater. We have launched an emergency appeal to support those who have been affected by the floods. Our Task Force GLM project manager, Liakat Younis, was recently on the ground in Pakistan with our partners Islamic Relief, assessing the situation and devastation that has been caused by the floods.
“I cannot believe what I’m seeing here. The sheer scale of the displacement of millions is unfathomable. There are tents raised everywhere, with families losing all of their property and belongings. The displaced only have the clothes on their back and many families have lost loved ones.”
At GLM, we have been answering the urgent call from the people of Pakistan:
- We have sent £200,000 in emergency donations
- Our Task Force team is on the ground delivering aid and assessing where help is most needed
- We have an emergency radio appeal with Unity FM on Friday the 2nd of September, from 2pm
- During our Friday congregational prayers, we are hoping to raise thousands of pounds
- We are holding bucket collections in our local Morrisons and Al Halal supermarkets
- Raising awareness through the media on BBC radio, TV and Birmingham Mail
Islam teaches us that giving in charity is highly encouraged and should be done regularly. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said that Allah/God says:
“Spend in charity, O son (and daughter) of Adam, and I will spend on you.”
To donate to this urgent cause, please visit www.taskforceglm.org/pakistan.
Green Lane Masjid and Community Centre
20 Green Lane
Birmingham, B9 5DB
Tel: 0121 713 0080
Green Lane Masjid and Community Centre is a leading UK mosque situated in the heart of Birmingham serving the community since 1979. Operating from its award-winning grade II listed Victorian building, GLMCC fulfils its mission of inspiring, educating and serving through its educational college, outreach work, welfare services, international humanitarian wing, as well as its fully functional mosque which is attended by thousands every week.