History of the Building
The GLMCC building is Grade II listed building with a rich history dating from the late 1800’s.
Land was secured for the building of a free public library.
The library was officially opened in 1894. Land secured and approval gained for the building of the swimming pools and public baths.
A well was sunk to supply water to the building, capable of supplying 8300 gallons per hour.
Work commenced on building the swimming pools and public baths at a cost of £30,000. 1902 public baths and swimming pools were officially opened.
Swimming baths were destroyed through enemy action, during World War 2, on the night of 18th October 1940.
Work commenced to rebuild the swimming baths.
Public library and swimming baths moved to new facility at Muntz Street and during 1979 the building was acquired for use as a Mosque. The building consisted of the following: boiler house engine room, first class swimming pool, second class swimming pool, first class private baths, second class private baths, committee rooms, accommodation for cashier and free public landing library.
History of the Mosque
Building was acquired following two years of negotiation with Birmingham City Council after the public library and baths were relocated to a new facility on Muntz Street. The building remained vacant from 1977 to 1979 while the Council approved the sale, during which the building was severely vandalised. The building was purchased at a price of £24000 by Markazi Jamiat Ahle-Hadith UK. Having acquired the building, the former public library section of the building was adapted for use as a Masjid, and associated offices. Temporary ablution facilities were introduced within the first class swimming pool hall. The Masjid relocated from two terraced houses on George Arthur Road in Alum Rock to 20 Green Lane, Small Heath.
New ablution facility was introduced adjacent to the prayer hall and a complete internal refurbishment of the prayer area was undertaken with the addition of three new offices.
The old first floor committee room in the swimming baths was adapted to two self-contained flats.
Work commenced in the ex-second class swimming pool and private baths to be adapted for use as a large prayer area for men and a mezzanine floor for a ladies’ prayer area. The ex-engine room was extended to house separate ablution facilities for men and women. The reception area was adapted for use as offices which also included a new mezzanine floor. The car park was also re-laid. The slipper baths floor was replaced completely due to severe decay to steel beams supporting the floor. The basement area under the prayer hall was also refurbished to allow for storage space.
The above work was completed and the Mosque was relocated from the old library to the new facility.
Work commenced on the ex-boiler house to build a mortuary facility on the ground floor, reference library on the first floor and residential accommodation for 12 persons on the 2nd and 3rd floors.
Work on boiler house completed, providing crucial services to the community, that were much needed in the local area.
Green Lane Masjid and Community Centre came into existence in 2008, and was set up as an independent charity to administer the affairs of this particular Centre.
Refurbishment work started on the old Mosque and community hall in order to facilitate a full time school, allowing the space to be used for other activities of the Centre outside school hours. In the old Mosque three mezzanine floors were added, a new basement and a mezzanine floor. The first phase of this project worked on the old community hall area introducing a new basement housing a plant room, Communications room and a large hall which can be divided into two areas for separate activities. A ground floor multipurpose hall, two sets of washroom and ablution areas, kitchen, medical room, two offices, and store room. On the mezzanine floor, a meeting room and a large classroom were introduced.
Work commenced on the old Masjid/public library area. Following a complete gut-out, work included the introduction of 2 mezzanine floors accommodating 4 classrooms, Science/CDT room, staff room, offices, as well as an open area on the ground floor. First and second floor multipurpose areas were also created.
The above refurbishment was completed, concluding the largest refurbishment project undertaken in the history of this building.
Work commenced extending the men’s entrance lobby, a complete gut out of both the men’s and ladies’ ablution areas and a complete refit with brand new facilities increasing capacity in excess of 30%.
The new and improved entrance lobbies and ablution areas were opened to the public.